Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Leicina Special (Great Super8 Cam?)

  1. #1
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok!
    I am about to sell my Nizo Pro in order to acquire the Leicina Special (I am still planning to buy Eclair/Arri BL early next year).

    What is your opinion of this cam? So far, here is what I think:

    Adv:
    1. Interchangeable lens via M Mount
    2. Viewfinder is SWITCHABLE to Split or groundglass!!
    3. Extended exposure system
    4. Multiple frame rates
    5. Interval Timer
    6 If I can find it a angle viewer (90 degrees)
    7. Forhead rest

    Disadv:
    1. M mount is not as common as C mount
    2. Shutter angle?

    All of your inputs would be a plus!!!
    Thanx in advance

    ------------------

  2. #2
    #Pedro
    Guest #Pedro's Avatar

    Post

    I?ve never owned or used one, but as far as I know it is the ONLY S8 cam with the correct design for steady shots. There is no cool looking handle as most cams have, as the Leiz engeneers had figured out, that a man?s hand is the least steady part of his body. No- the camera support is made with a special soft distance part, that is located over the viewfinder and allows you to press the camera against your head bone like a 35 mm still camera. And the head is the steadyest part of the body, equalizing any movements. Furthermore, this distance part contains the battery, in order to have the weight of them close to the support (headbone). I would love that construction at my Beaulieu. And the camcorder makers could learn A LOT of this construction, with their tiny palmtop designs.

    How the viewfinder works, I don?t know. Depends a lot of the structure of the ground glass. As far as I know, the (rotating) shutter is not flicker-free, bearing mirrors at it?s blades in order to reflect the image to the viewfinder. This garantees 100% light effectivity like Beaulieu. I?m not shure, if the shutter angle is adjustable, maybe.

    Pedro

    ------------------

  3. #3
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Some time back I knew someone that had one of these cameras and it was awsome. A real piece of machinery. The removable lens design is super clean and well made. I am envious. Here's a photo from the Mondofoto Encyclopedia of Super 8 Cameras:


    leicina

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  4. #4
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    You guys are getting me wet!

    My only real concern is the inability to change shutter angle. I know its not the end of the world but since super8 is so cheap compared to other film formats, those 'little' features really add up when you are experimenting with image manipulation in the cam itself instead of in post (ie smaller shutter angles= sharper strobey images).

    Thanks for the photo Roger! Yep, my dealer does not have the angleviewer (front most accessorie in your pict). This would be really useful when using tripods!!!

    I forgot to mention that the cam has a manual support for ASA setting.

    Any critic of the cam? That would be really useful right now!
    Thanx in advance.
    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited November 20, 2001).]

  5. #5
    cameraguy
    Guest cameraguy's Avatar

    Post

    I am sure it is an awesome camera. My only concern is service/repair for it. If it breaks down are there parts around?

    ------------------

  6. #6
    8th Man
    Guest 8th Man's Avatar

    Post

    M-mount? I don't think I've ever seen any. Of course I'm not looking either. An adapter might be the most helpful thing if you can find it.

    ------------------
    PRM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •